Saturday, March 19, 2011

This Is Not a Knitting Blog

...No, really.

Except that a couple of days ago I started a project that I must wax rhapsodic upon.  The yarn is "Gaia Fingering" from Becoming Art in colorway "Night Owl".  It's a 100% Merino single-ply with the most amazing color shadings and combinations.  Lots of blues, but also shots of yellow, purple, mauve, rusty browns, flashes of rose and wine.  It's hard to explain (and the photo on the website is much 'cooler' in tone than the skein I bought).  It leapt off the wall and into my hands at Stitches West a few weeks ago.

Also at Stitches West, the pattern was  brought to my attention:  A helpful woman at the Miss Babs booth mentioned the "Hitchhiker" shawlette  by Martina Behm as a great way to use variegated yarns.  It's garter stitch, with a sawtooth detail on one of the edges.  Beautiful.  And I have a *very* soft spot for anything at all related to Douglas Adams's works.

And the needles are Knit Picks Harmony interchangeables.  To get the drape I wanted, I used the size 4 tips.  They are gorgeous to look at, and so smooth, without being too slick.

The combination is magic.  Sensual.  Buttery.  The springiness of the yarn, the smoothness of the needles.  The sunlit luster and colors of the fiber slipping through my fingers.  I think my favorite bits are the streaks of yolky yellow, and how they make the colors near them glow.  I don't think I've ever had a yarn project quite like this in terms of overall level of delight in the process.  If the finished product spontaneously combusted in my hands as I cast it off, I think I'd still be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment